Friday 29 April 2016

pies

In a well known department store recently, I tried on a pair of jeggings. The word jeggings, while effective at describing a cross between jeans and leggings makes me shudder in its ugliness. Once on they felt a little too snug, did I need the next size up? The staff member in the fitting room was alone so couldn't retrieve the item for me, and I simply couldn't be bothered to remove the jeggings, so lagged in stretchy fabric off I scurried to find a bigger size.

While searching the rails a gentleman approached, one of the shop floor staff, telling me he had an eye for sizes. Upon hearing what I was after, he looked me up and down, gazed momentarily into my eyes and asked in a clipped African accent, Are you planning on eating all the pies? Ha! He did not keep to script, he was being himself, subtly scolding me for thinking I am bigger than I am. He amused me.

He was right, they were too big!