Thursday 25 October 2018

margaret stirland

On the weekend my sister and I moved to Derbyshire we went for homity pie at Scarthin Books of Cromford. It is a special treat to dine on thoughtful vegan food while surrounded by books! After our lunch we wondered around the book filled rooms and I discovered Feathered Playmates at Home on display in a windowsill and couldn't resist picking it up. As you can see from the photograph this book was awarded to Margaret Stirland in 1936 by the City Of Nottingham Education Committee as 4th prize for 3 hyacinths grown in a pot. 

I loved the title of the book, that it was for 4th place, that Margaret had grown hyacinths and that it appeared to have been kept for her lifetime. At 82 years old the book is in good condition, the stories interesting and illustration charming. I'll treasure this Margaret!