Tuesday 29 June 2021

small things are big things

A few months ago I left a packet of sunflower seeds in the stairway of Haarlem Artspace (where I have a studio) inviting others to pick a seed and grow a sunflower. I staged it as a competition of sorts - envisaging studio holders planting our sunflowers in the flowerbed by the studio building and watching as each grew into itself with its own special attribute.

At the moment mine stands alone, though I'm hopeful my sunflower will have company.

It grew on my studio windowsill for a month or so and 7 days ago I planted it out. I've been grateful for the rain that has fallen this week and today went to check on the beautiful and hopeful flower-bud that is forming. I'll have bated breath until it flowers.

Tomorrow I am providing homemade vegan victorian sponge and ginger nut biscuits to celebrate the sunflower and my intention of joining studio holders in a communal flowery endeavour. It's not quite taken off this time, there is always next year...