Tuesday 27 April 2021

doris hardy - spinster

This grave in Wirksworth Cemetery, Derbyshire fascinates me. Doris Hardy was added to the side of this grand gravestone and the first thing we know after her name is that she was a SPINSTER (in text that's on a right leaning wonk). Who buried her here? Who didn't take enough care over the text? Why is her marital (lack of) status so important?

Delving on Ancestry I discovered that Doris was born in 1894, the first child of Henry and Alice. She had four sisters and one brother and two siblings who died. Her family had deep connections to Derbyshire and the local area. She is buried with her grandmother Sarah who died in 1905, and aunt Mary (also a spinster) who died in 1934.

The grave was covered in overgrowth so one Sunday in April I spent an afternoon clearing weeds and intended to scatter bee friendly seeds and plant native plants. I soon discovered concrete under my trowel and was disappointed but wondered if I'd find any further clues about Doris and her family in it's surface. I did not.

Taking the seeds away I returned the following week and planted lavender in a soil filled circular hole within the concrete. Disappointed again as this hole was a tube as far as I could reach and felt sorry for the lavender knowing it's roots will be restricted. It's been a dry April so I've returned often to water the plant and help it settle into it's unpromising spot.

Ideas are forming and I plan to research Doris further to understand more about her life. 

Spinster, late of Starkholmes.

Was the concrete poured onto the burial plot in 1967?

Symmetrical pattern scored into concrete

Lavender planted in tube within the concrete